Should we invite kids to the wedding, should we not? It’s the age old question that we get from many of our brides and grooms and often one of the biggest causes of family issues. My advice: Do what works for you!
If you choose to have children attend your wedding, keep them busy! You will be happy you did and their parents will thank you.
- kids meals – order them chicken fingers, pizza, whatever suits their fancy! Not only are kids meals less expensive, they are fast, fun, will keep them entertained and they will actually eat them!
- kids activities – whether you choose to have a kids table (this will depend on their ages) or have them sit with their parents, give them something to do! Hit up the dollar store, a goodie bag of colouring books, stickers, toy cars, and maybe even a little candy will keep them busy while you get through dinner and speeches. Kids love to make cards and presents for the bride and groom so let them craft it up.
I also loved these 15 tips on what to do with kids at a wedding from The Knot
If you prefer an adult only affair, here are some general rules of thumb and cute sayings to help you get your point across nicely:
- invitation: address the invites to the adult names only.
- rsvp: indicate the names or that you have reserved X number of seats for the guests replying
- wording: for those that need something a little less subtle – “While we love to watch the children run and play, this is an adults only kind of day”
Which ever option you choose, own it! It’s your day, have it your way.
Shannon Valente Weddings – Calgary Wedding Planner – Creating amazingly fun, jaw dropping, memorable, stress free weddings in Calgary since 2006.
Photo credit: Kyla Brown Photography